Monday, September 8, 2014

Brady's First Day of 4 Year Old Preschool

Brady's actual first day was a week ago, but we had to get a new computer, so I've put the date that corresponds with his actual first day on this post.  About a week after school let out in June, Brady started asking when it was time to go back.  Summer is our busiest time and we probably spent a combined 5 weeks at home between May and September, but I guess we weren't busy enough for him not to miss school.  I always loved school (hence why my chosen profession before children was teaching), so I can only hope that his love of learning continues.  

Not many people know, but Brady was officially diagnosed with ADHD right after the school year ended.  At that point he was only able to recognize half of his letters.  With kids expected to be reading books by kindergarten, I became very worried that he was falling behind.  We made it our mission this summer to get all of his letters down before school and we accomplished that goal!  It takes a lot of redirection to get him to focus so learning new things will be a challenge, but it helps that I have my teaching background and we can do lots of work at home to keep him on track for kindergarten next year.

He went to the district sponsored preschool last year twice a week in the mornings.  My intention was to place him three mornings per week for the 4 year old preschool, but they eliminated that option for mornings and only offered four day or five day mornings.  We registered him for the four day before he was diagnosed and are now very glad that we did.  He needs the extra time and it will get him ready for full day kindergarten next fall.  This also gives me more time alone with Izzie, either for activities or quality time.

Traditional first day doughnuts!

Izzie loves doughnuts too so she benefits from Brady going back to school in many ways. 

Backpack on and ready to go!

What a difference a year makes!

Settling right in! 

Izzie was super excited as well. 

We were afraid she was going to throw a fit when it was time to leave, but she left and said bye to Brady.  At the end of the day when we went to pick him up, she ran to hug him.  He's completed a full week now and he's still excited as he was the first day.  Here's to a great year!

No comments:

Post a Comment